The Cuba Initiative is one of the three membership organisations at The Caribbean Council. The Cuba Initiative was was founded in 1995 in response to a request from the Governments of the United Kingdom and Cuba for an independent, bi-lateral, non-governmental body able to support and develop programmes that enhance the UK/Cuban relationship.
As such, the work of the Cuba Initiative complements the official UK/Cuban government-to-government relationship. The principal focus of the Cuba Initiative is on trade and investment.
The present Chairman of the UK-side of the Initiative is The Rt Hon. The Lord Triesman. A parallel and similar body in Havana is chaired by Rodrigo Malmierca, Minister for Trade and Investment.
The Cuba Initiative fosters a closer economic, trade and investment relationship and to deliver a sustained increase in trade and investment in all sectors. Priority is afforded to key strategic sectors:
- Energy and mining
- Biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry
- IT and communications
All Cuba Initiative members receive:
- Invitations to our regular Cuba related events with high level business individuals, members from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Embassy in London and Cuba.
- Subscription to our weekly publication, Cuba Briefing
- Access to our consultancy services on an agreed basis
- Active business referrals
For further information about our membership benefits, please visit the ‘Become a Member’ page