Reports to: Managing Director
Salary: £14-£16 per hour
Hours: 15 hours a week (preferably 9.30am-6.00pm Wednesday and Thursday). Alternative days and/or working hours may be possible for the right candidate.
Location: The Caribbean Council, Temple Chambers, 3-7 Temple Avenue, London, EC4Y 0HP
Deadline for applications: 5pm Wednesday 23rd September 2015
The Caribbean Council
The Caribbean Council is a well-established, small, not for profit consultancy and membership organisation which provides a range of research, advocacy and events services to corporate and public sector clients based in the UK, the Caribbean and Central America. The Council’s work covers a broad range of sectors including tourism, rum and financial services. It provides advice on political and economic developments, trade policy issues and other factors shaping the environment for those that it works with. The organisation only takes on assignments which are supportive of the development of the Caribbean and Central America.
The Caribbean Council is seeking a self-employed part time bookkeeper to work in our friendly central London office. The candidate must be experienced with Quickbooks and ideally Quickbooks online.
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience of working with Quickbooks and ideally Quickbooks online
- Have 3/4 years’ relevant experience in bookkeeping and administration
- A professional approach, positive strong work ethic and the ability to work confidentially
- The ability to maintain contact with clients, members and suppliers
- The capacity to develop a positive working relationship with the company’s accountants
- A good telephone manner
- Ability to use Microsoft packages including Word, Outlook and Excel and an aptitude for adapting to changing IT systems
- Be methodical and accurate
- Be well organised, flexible and happy to take on admin tasks and work well within a small team
Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for maintaining accurate records about incoming and outgoing money
- Maintaining weekly cash flow forecasts
- Responsible for issuing and paying invoices in accordance with set procedures
- Responsible for arranging salary transfers in liaison with Managing Director and Accountants
- Responsible for undertaking bank payments and for paying cheques and cash in to the bank in accordance with set procedures
- Acting as primary interface between the office, the accountants and the bank
- Responsible for coding and entering supplier invoices and expenses to Quickbooks;
- Responsible for reconciling bank entries with Quickbooks;
- Responsible for dealing with staff financial enquiries;
- Processing Staff Expenses
- Managing non-Sterling petty cash
- Liaising with the accountants as necessary, and in particular in relation to prompt and accurate delivery of the management accounts in conjunction with the Managing Director
- Responsible for Quickbooks database and contacts database up to date
- Invoicing members, subscribers and agents annually and following up outstanding payments
- Responsible for arranging/renewing insurances
- Co-ordinating and submitting the annual returns (provided by the accountants) to Companies House.
- Other comparable duties as may be required
A full outline of tasks can be found at the end of the PDF attachment below.
Applications will only be considered from those who already have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom. Candidates called for interview will be expected to provide evidence of this in accordance with UK Government guidelines.
Candidates wishing to apply for this post must send a CV with the names of two referees plus a covering letter to:
Christopher Bennett, Managing Director
The Caribbean Council, Temple Chambers, 3-7 Temple Avenue, London, EC4Y 0HP