Reports to: Business Development Manager
Hours: 35 hours per week, 9.30am -5.30pm
Salary: £19,000 – £22,000 p.a (plus benefits)
The Caribbean Council
The Caribbean Council is a well-established, small, not for profit consultancy and membership organisation which provides a range of research, advocacy and events services to corporate and public sector clients based in the UK, the Caribbean and Central America. The Council’s work covers a broad range of sectors including tourism, rum and financial services. It provides advice on political and economic developments, trade policy issues and other factors shaping the environment for those that it works with. The organisation only takes on assignments which are supportive of the development of the Caribbean and Central America.
The Marketing and Events Coordinator will support the organisation in the delivery of its range of events and potential membership and contribute to the planning, co-ordination and delivery of Business Development activity.
Skills and requirements
- Degree level qualification
- Experience of working in a membership type organisation
- Good business sense and sales experience
- Experience of delivering events
- The ability to maintain contact with clients, members and suppliers
- Ability to speak Spanish /French a plus
- Knowledge of social media and website management
- A professional approach, positive strong work ethic and the ability to work confidentially
- Proactive with excellent attention to detail, well organised, communication skills and creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to use Microsoft packages including Word, Outlook and Excel
- Good team player but also able to work on their own and use their own initiative
- Ability with software, IT systems and WordPress
- A good telephone manner
- Research and identify relevant contacts and companies to invite to Council events, conferences, trade missions etc.
- Support in the drafting of invitations and background materials for such events
- Draft short research papers, event concept notes, biographical notes etc as required
- Provide logistical and administrative support for the Council’s events as directed
- Support in the preparation of materials for events (eg. banners/leaflets/name badges etc)
- Attend Council events and engage with members and attendees
- If the event is on site, arranging catering and drinks, managing and producing events and attending to practical matters such as ensuring the room is prepared and cleared afterwards
- Develop and maintain the Caribbean Council databases and ensuring contact information is kept up to date (where appropriate with third party support)
- Develop a network of operational contacts that will support the work of the Business Development Manager
- Undertake desk based research to support the Business Development Manager in identifying new lead opportunities
- Support Business Development Manager in general business development activity where necessary, for example preparing for and supporting events, investor visits and meetings
Sales and Marketing
- Support arranging meetings with potential members to prospect for new business
- Support with design of promotional and sales material about the organisation and for events and our membership services
- Assisting with client targeting – researching potential targets, creating accurate lists for targeting, assisting with updating existing client target lists and expanding sector targeting
- Support Business Development Manager in account management activity, wherever necessary, for example attending meetings, recording minutes etc.
- Support with monitoring payments of invoices by members and clients.
- Support the Business Development Manager with new content for website and social media platforms as directed
- Ensure that website and social media platforms are kept up to date
- To act as first point of contact for those contacting or visiting the Caribbean Council
- Arranging and maintaining supplies for office (stationary/office equipment/refreshments)
- Handling small volume of post
- Seeking where possible to contribute to the most efficient running of the office
- Liaising with the office facilities management team
- Providing occasional Exec Assistant support to Managing Director
- Other comparable duties as may be required
How to apply?
Applicants should submit a CV with a cover letter below to:
The Caribbean Council
3-7 Temple Avenue
Applications should be written in English and must be received either by email or in the post.
The deadline for applications is: by midnight Friday 5 August
Interviews will be held on 11th and 12th August.