In July 2013, the Caribbean Council undertook a scoping study of UK business opportunities in Guyana and Suriname on behalf of the British High Commission in Guyana.
The scoping study was funded by the FCO Commercial Diplomacy Fund and seeks to raise awareness amongst British companies about the opportunities which exist and provide them with key contacts in a variety of public and private sector organisations which can help them to take new business initiatives forward.
This report is a summary of a programme of nearly thirty meetings which the Caribbean Council undertook in Guyana and Suriname in July 2013 with key figures in the private sector and Government.
The report identifies particular opportunities for UK firms in the following sectors:
2) Energy and Renewable energy infrastructure
3) Oil and Gas
4) Transport Infrastructure
5) Construction of housing
6) Environmental services
The report also looks at:
– Key contacts for each of the above sectors
– The state of play with competitors from other countries , particularly China
– Legislation relating to the sectors identified as priorities and towards investment in general
– Security of investment and issues surrounding good governance/rule of law