Date: Thursday 12 February 2015
Venue: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
The Cuba Initiative organised a briefing meeting on Cuba at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office with the Rt Hon Hugo Swire MP, Minister of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, following his visit to Cuba last October which was the first visit by a British Minister for over a decade.
There were over 80 high level representatives from leading UK companies in attendance, and speakers on the panel were:
- Rt Hon Hugo Swire MP, Minister of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (with responsibility for Cuba)
- Rt Hon Lord Hutton of Furness, Chairman of the Cuba Initiative
- Mrs Teresita de Jesus Vicente, the Cuban Chargé to London
- Mr David Jessop, Director of the Cuba Initiative
- Paul Radford, UK Export Finance
Among the issues discussed were: the recent developments relating to Cuba including the change in US policy and its implications for UK businesses; Minister Swire’s visit to Cuba last October and evolving UK-Cuba relations; the sectors where there are particular opportunities for UK companies to invest in Cuba; the Cuba Initiative’s forthcoming trade and investment mission to Havana on 27-30 April; and the trade finance support available to UK companies wishing to consider the opportunities that exist in Cuba.
There was a lively question and answer session and participants had the opportunity to network before and after the event.