Position: Executive Assistant (Maternity Cover – Six months)
Responsible to: Managing Director
Salary: £12,000 per annum
Hours: 15 hours per week, 1000 -1500 for three days
The Caribbean Council
The Caribbean Council is a well-established, small, not for profit consultancy and membership organisation which provides a range of research, advocacy and events services to corporate and public sector clients based in the UK, the Caribbean and Central America. The Council’s work covers a broad range of sectors including tourism, rum and financial services. It provides advice on political and economic developments, trade policy issues and other factors shaping the environment for those that it works with. The organisation only takes on assignments which are supportive of the development of the Caribbean and Central America. For more information about the company and its activities, please visit the web site at www.caribbean-council.org.
The Caribbean Council is seeking to recruit an outgoing part-time Executive Assistant who will ensure the efficient management of its friendly central London office. The successful candidate will be expected to perform a wide range of administrative duties and provide a high level of day to day support to the Directors and other staff members. The successful candidate will have previous experience working in a similar administrative role.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least five years recent experience in a similar role
- A professional approach, positive strong work ethic and the ability to work confidentially
- The ability to maintain contact with clients, members and suppliers
- The capacity to develop a positive working relationship with the company’s bookkeepers
- An understanding of bookkeeping and accounts an advantage
- A good telephone manner
- Ability to use Microsoft packages including Word, Outlook and Excel and an aptitude for adapting to changing IT systems
- Ideally experience of working with Quickbooks or other similar accounting package
Salary: £12,000 per annum. The position is a maternity cover for six months.
Management support and Accounts[i] (Please refer to the PDF attachment below)
- Responsible for maintaining accurate records about incoming and outgoing money
- Maintaining cash flow forecasts
- Responsible for issuing and paying invoices in accordance with set procedures
- Responsible for arranging salary transfers in liaison with the accountants and Managing Director
- Responsible for paying cheques and cash in to the bank in accordance with set procedures
- Acting as primary interface between the office, the accountants and the bank
- Processing Staff Expenses
- Managing non-Sterling petty cash
- Liaising with the accountants in relation to prompt and accurate delivery of the management accounts in conjunction with the Managing Director
Membership and Publications
- Responsible for maintaining all databases and managing contact information
- Responsible for keeping records relating to membership and subscription income
- Generating renewal letters
- Invoicing members, subscribers and agents annually and following up outstanding payments
- Managing all initial membership enquiries
- Support with delivery of any other membership/subscription activity
- Responsible for arranging/renewing insurances
- Co-ordinating and submitting the annual returns (provided by the accountants) to Companies House.
General Office Duties
- To act as first point of contact for those contacting or visiting the Caribbean Council
- Diary management for the team
- Arranging travel, accommodation and meeting facilities for the team
- Ordering stationary and any other office equipment
- Arranging and maintaining supplies
- Handling small volume of post
- Support when required to the Events and Programme Co-ordinator
- To contribute to the efficient running of the office
- Liaising with the office facilities management team
- Other comparable duties as may be required
Applications will only be considered from those who already have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom. Candidates called for interview will be expected to provide evidence of this in accordance with UK Government guidelines.
Candidates wishing to apply for this post must send a CV with the names of two referees plus a covering letter to:
Deputy Managing Director
The Caribbean Council
3-7 Temple Avenue
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 10th February.
[i] A full list of task to be undertaken is below.Caribbean Council accounts and management accounting are carried out by an external accountant. Where reference is made to cash flow forecasts it means that the post holder is responsible for recording on a spreadsheet when funds have been received and when invoices have been paid. Training will be provided on all areas of the accounts procedures.